0. Baker Hostetler Grows White-Collar Crime and Investigations Practice With The Addition of Three Prominent Attorneys (PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance)
Baker Hostetler announced today the expansion of its White-Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations Practice Group with the addition of three prominent attorneys. Partners John W.
1. Jury Selection Set for Spector Murder Trial (E! Online)
The idea that Phil Spector will actually stand trial for murder is starting to look less whimsical. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler set Mar. 19 as the day to begin jury selection, saying Tuesday, "We have to get to this trial." While testimony probably won't start until three or four weeks after a jury is chosen, it's looking promising that Spector's criminal trial is ...
2. Two convicted in California reservoir bodies kidnap-ransom scheme (North County Times)
LOS ANGELES -- Two men were convicted Wednesday of orchestrating a ruthless kidnapping-for-ransom scheme targeting Russian immigrants that resulted in the murders of five people whose bodies were found at the bottom of a Northern California reservoir.
3. 2 Guilty in Calif. Reservoir Bodies Case (Journal Gazette & Times Courier)
LOS ANGELES - Two men were convicted Wednesday of orchestrating a deadly kidnapping-for-ransom scheme targeting Russian immigrants that left five bodies at the bottom of a Northern California reservoir.
4. Judge refuses to allow militia leader's testimony (The Morning News)
FAYETTEVILLE -- Hollis Wayne Fincher's machine gun trial will go to the jury today with the defense having presented no evidence or witnesses to the jury.
5. Warrant secrecy allowed for years (Los Angeles Times)
L.A. County and O.C. courts permitted police to keep the only copies of sealed affidavits. Defense attorneys call it an invitation to abuse. The Superior Courts in Los Angeles and Orange counties have for years allowed police to keep the only version of the sealed affidavit they use to obtain a search warrant without filing a copy with the court, a practice that defense attorneys said was rife ...
6. Jury Selection Set for Spector Murder Trial (E! Online via Yahoo! News)
The idea that Phil Spector will actually stand trial for murder is starting to look less whimsical.
7. MySpace, News Corp., Sued by Families Whose Daughters Were Assaulted, According to Arnold & Itkin LLP and Barry & Loewy ... (SYS-CON Media)
MySpace Inc., and its parent company, News Corp., have been sued in California state court by four families who allege that their minor daughters were solicited online and then sexually abused by adult MySpace users, according to the law firms representing the families.
8. MySpace, News Corp., Sued By Families Whose Daughters Were Assaulted, According to Arnold & Itkin LLP and Barry & Loewy ... (RedNova)
HOUSTON and AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 18 /PRNewswire
9. Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Gang And Racial Stereotypes in the Docket in Long Beach Hate Crimes Trial (HuffingtonPost)
Gang And Racial Stereotypes in the Docket in Long Beach Hate Crimes Trial Earl Ofari Hutchinson When the tall thin black teen with a ponytail took the stand to testify in his defense, the prosecutor loudly shouted at him from across the courtroom, "You're a naughty nasty gangster Crip." His attorney hit the roof and the judge admonished the prosecutor to tone it down. But the charge that ...